Ready to sell the family home?
Here’s How to Prepare to Move into the Next Phase of Your Life
When making the decision to sell that family home filled with love, memories, and lots of stuff, the process can feel daunting. At Nickerson Real Estate Partners, we are often asked about the process of selling a home and believe that breaking the process into small steps can make the enormous task seem much more manageable. The steps below can help set you up for success before you add the “For Sale” sign to your front lawn:
- Assess the Interior State of Your Home – Is there a 10-year-old water stain on the ceiling? Is there a space many would use for a home office, but it’s currently utilized as storage? A walk through your home to assess any issues or updates is key for deciding if anything should be fixed. We recommend you engage professionals (home organizers, realtors, & stagers) who can offer honest, unbiased advice in this process.
- Find Curb Appeal – First impressions are everything, and your home’s first impression is undoubtably the front yard. Landscaping, pride of ownership and regular maintenance should all be apparent before a prospective buyer steps in the front door.
- Discuss Property’s Value – This can be one of the most difficult conversations when preparing a home for sale. Homeownership is an emotional investment, but the state of the market is unbiased. Trusting realtor feedback is of upmost importance, as they know the intricacies of current market conditions. A suggested sales price is just that – suggested, but you should plan for a candid discussion of your sales goals with your broker.
- Preparing Your Home for Market – Once your plan and goals are in place, it’s time to execute. From hiring handymen for repairs to donating and decluttering, your goal is to present a home that potential buyers can see themselves moving into.
- First Sell, then Buy – If you are in the position to do so, we recommend you sell before you buy; as many times this will place you in the best possible position to purchase. Many new-construction developments (popular for downsizers and right-sizers) receive multiple offers on properties and are often looking for contingency-free contracts. If your home has already sold, there’s no need for a home-sale contingency, making your offer on your dream home that much stronger.
If you are currently looking for a townhome or condominium on the South Shore, we would be pleased to assist you at Sconset Landing. Located in Hanover, MA, our community sits on just under 60 beautiful wooded acres and features a clubhouse, fitness center and a pool with grilling and fire pit areas (coming soon). Flat style homes begin at $429,900 and out townhomes begin at $599,900. Please give our sales team a call at 781-242-2020 to schedule a personal tour of our growing community.